Sunday, December 5, 2021

Another Time || Day 0 (Prologue)

 


I opened up a new world, and like so many others, I was greeted by the familiar sight of Albia, just as it was back then.

The cable car, clicking and clacking along as it moved back and forth. The buzzing of the bees to the left side of my screen. The gentle ticking of the clock hanging on the wall in the kitchen, even the lapping sounds of a raft pushing its way through a watery tunnel underground. 

These were all things I'd seen and heard many a time before, and as my brain moved my mouse towards the top of my screen, fully prepared to go to Muco the Egg Layer and create some Norns to fill this world with, I remembered where I actually was.


Uh-oh. I don't think I'm actually on the Capillata any more...

Okay, but in all seriousness, I've been a Creatures player for well over half of my years on the planet Earth, and I have to admit I've never actually played the original Creatures! To be fair, it was a little bit before my time - it was actually released a year before I was even born, and my apologies if I just made anybody reading this feel old, haha. Then again, Creatures 3, the game I did start with as a kid, released just two years after I was born... so maybe I don't have much of an excuse!

When I heard that this year will mark Creatures' 25th anniversary, I realized that now is quite possibly the best time for me to finally sit down and give it a try. This is where it all started, after all. Creatures has captivated my imagination for years and years and years, and I've always been in love with the worlds it has showed to us and the little digital creatures it's graced us with.

So, this CCSF, I'll be doing something a little different from the story-series I've done in the past. While I'll still be trying my best to "tell a story", I'll be telling the story of my own experience playing the very first Creatures game for the very first time. This is the GOG version of the game, with no add-ons, patches, or COBs outside of whatever things the GOG version might have already had, if any. If I find out there's some patch that's needed for game functionality, of course, I'll give that a try. But for the most part, I want to do something I very rarely do, and experience a Creatures game in as close to its purest form as I can get!

I hope that those of you reading this enjoy my blog series as maybe a little extra flavor alongside the CCSF releases, to enjoy with a cup of coffee (or tea, or hot chocolate, or hot apple cider, or whatever you'd like to put in your mug). 

I'm excited to jump right in and see just what Creatures is like: a game from another time...
- Pixis

|| Next ||

No comments:

Post a Comment