Thursday, December 9, 2021

Another Time || Day 5: The Journey Begins

 


And just like that, there was our newest child: Rice! (Also named by my partner.) This time, Darla was actually present for the hatching of her child, and she insisted on sticking close; in fact, I had a hard time separating them! But, alas, if I wanted to get Rice up to speed with the important learning of the day, I needed her to pay attention...


Look, here's the family, all together :)

Since things were pretty peaceful at this point, I decided to do what I'd been planning on before Rice was born and bring another Generation 1 female into the mix. I'd read this tip in the manual, and decided it really was probably a good idea - to help make the gene pool a little bit more diverse, and keep future Norns from only being direct descendants of Darla.



Out from a light-purple speckled egg came our new female - a Pixie Norn! The Pixie Norn heads really are my favorite of all the Creatures 1 breeds, so I was really pleased to see her. Keeping in line with the food theme my partner had started naming the babies with, I named her Fairyfloss. (That's what they call cotton candy in some countries, right?)




Fairyfloss was a quiet child, and maybe just a little bit disobedient. I think she might be a really bright Norn, as she was very easy to teach and quick to pick up the handful of nouns I taught her before sending her on her way. 

With five norns running about, though, I have to admit I'm starting to get a little worried about the food supply. It's true that the carrots in the garden keep growing back, but is it possible that the Norns could out-eat them? I suppose I'll find out soon enough, if that can happen...


This is something smaller I wanted to quickly mention, but one of my favorite details that I've noticed so far is that you can hear the footsteps of your creatures if you listen closely enough. That's something that I don't think is present in Creatures 3/Docking Station, and while it's probably really not necessary, it's such a nice touch.

Later on, as I was trying to wrangle a couple of my Norns and continue to encourage them to eat, I realized that some of them had wandered off. Sighing to myself and clicking over on Benji, I discovered that... he'd decided to go on an adventure?!


Darla was even there to send him off!

While I have heard that some Norns set off on a great journey to circumnavigate Albia, I didn't realize it would be starting so soon! Admittedly, I'm a bit wary of Benji of all Norns going away, considering things might get a bit hairy if something were to happen to him - it would leave Cornstarch as the only male Norn left on Albia. But on the plus side, maybe I can be hopeful that Darla and the other Norns back home have gotten a bit better at watching out for each other, and maybe I can focus more on guiding Benji along... just maybe?

Well, maybe I'll at least try and corral all of the other Norns back towards the garden first...


Upon Benji's arrival at the island, I could see that our old friend(?) Bobo was there! Or, at the very least, this is some Grendel. It's been so long since we last saw Bobo that I had a feeling he might have, er, "gone missing". Maybe that's him on this island, or maybe some other Grendel quietly replaced him and found their way here in the meantime. I suppose that all depends on how hardy Grendels are.


Meanwhile, back home, Darla seemed to have laid another egg! How? When? I don't know! The lack of visible pregnancy in Creatures 1 Norns keeps throwing me for a loop, as this is the second time now that Darla has laid eggs that took me by surprise. I'm a little freaked out that I don't have more time to prepare for the new babies, but at the same time, it's really funny.

I disappeared for a while back to the island, where I spent a good five minutes convincing Benji to eat a Christmas turkey so that he wouldn't starve to death. When I returned to check on everyone else, though, I happened upon a most frightening scene...

|| Previous || Next ||


No comments:

Post a Comment