Sunday, December 19, 2021

Another Time || Day 12: I Spy

 


I spy, with my little eye... uh, whatever's going on here.

It took me a while to figure out why Fairyfloss was insisting on sitting by the incubator. I tried to coax her away from it and get her something to eat, but she was really fixated on sitting in this corner! As it turns out, there's a tiny carrot here... and I can't seem to pick it up. 

It reminded me of what happened to Benny, sort of. Although I have to admit, I wonder if something else wasn't going on with Benny's death - by now, I've had some stubborn Norns that have gone without eating for far longer than Benny did, and they came out of it looking (mostly) alright.

Back on the subject of Norn breeding, I think it may be safe to say that something strange happened to Benji. Checking out both Potroast and Ernest's pages in the Breeder's Kit showed me much higher levels of testosterone! Even though I was fairly certain both of them are still too young to breed, their pages still looked a lot better than Benji's.

As I was contemplating this, I wondered if maybe Benji had managed to eat an Ugly Tomato at some point during his travels, when I wasn't looking. I don't know much about what it looks like after a Norn eats an Ugly Tomato, exactly, but I remembered hearing that it's essentially intended to permanently stop them from breeding. 

Since deliberately killing off Norns is a bit hard (...and kind of cruel!), it makes sense that the Ugly Tomato exists as a solution for removing unwanted Norns from the gene pool without necessarily hurting them. But, still... what exactly does it look like when that happens? And is that what could have happened to Benji?

Much to my surprise, and so much for "too young to breed", it was at this point that Darla once again became pregnant! While I'd have to wait to see who the father was, I realized that all three males were still showing a red X. It was only then that it dawned on me that the red X may only be a pregnancy indicator, and that it makes sense since males can't get pregnant. I promise I've got a brain somewhere in my head, guys! Maybe!


While I had been busy contemplating the Meaning Of The Red X, Darla laid her egg! For another (real quick) game of I Spy, try finding it in this picture. I really like how small C1 eggs are at first, and how large they become right before they hatch - it feels different than C3/DS eggs somehow, though I can't put my finger on why.


Out of all of my Norns, Darla is definitely the one that wanders the most. I'm not sure if her trip around the world has given her a real taste for adventure, or if she just likes to walk around a lot more than everybody else, but she's become the hardest to keep close to the garden. It really feels like she has a personality of her own... like she's obedient most of the time, but when she wants to explore, she wants to explore, regardless of what I have to say!

I feel like it's really interesting that I can observe some distinct personalities in these Norns. Maybe I would notice things like this more often if my regular playstyle was as hands-on as this...

|| Previous || Next ||

No comments:

Post a Comment