Sunday, September 12, 2021

Crestfall || Moving Worlds

 


Sometimes, you just gotta pick up and go somewhere else. Y'know?

Hello again, everybody - how have you all been doing? I hope everyone has been having an okay year so far, at least, despite everything going on. Over here where I'm at, we've been hanging in there even though it feels like the world keeps getting crazier and crazier. 

I know I update this blog really sporadically, so to anyone who's still out there and happens to still read my stuff, best wishes for you! Do better than I have and try to stop and appreciate the things you love more often, if you will. I don't play Creatures nearly as often as I'd like to any more, but I have all of my physical Creatures-related stuff on display on a shelf near my work desk, and not a day goes by that I don't look at it. :)

So, back to business! Originally, I had decided to do this (back in late April... jeez, how time flies when you're not in school any more) because Crestfall's world was getting quite laggy and I thought a change of scenery might be fun - but then I ended up having to redo my entire Creatures Exodus install anyway (yes again, no don't ask), so it was like a two-for-one deal. Kind of.

Anyway, I've exported everybody from Crestfall and relocated them to my new install in C2toDS. I put them all by the waterfall area, though I've populated the world throughout with various things I like - plants, critters, toys, dispensers, and so on. 

I know that C2toDS isn't quite "wolfling ready", as one might put it - but despite everything, as you might have noticed, I just can't pry myself away from it! If anyone out there reading this feels the same way I do, it's worth checking out the C2toDS Refresh project! I've been following this project - it aims to bring C2toDS up to "instinct friendliness" standards and make it more livable for creatures. As someone who loves the world of C2 dearly, this project is really exciting to me. This new world for Crestfall is using the C2toDS Refresh project's files as they were in early September 2021 (when this post is being written).


Aside from all of the usual "things" I like to put in my worlds, I've also added a SERU drop point, which I've set up to sporadically create new SERU creatures. I thought something like this might add a little extra fun (or mystery) to my world, since SERU always seems to create interesting creatures!


Since a lot of Crestfall's population is getting "up there" in age and seems to have mostly evened out to a pool of Bengal Norn and C12DS Santa Norn crossbreeds, I also decided to introduce a few of my favorite breeds back into the mix. Meet our new Generation 1 Norns: Mini Raisin (Apple Norn), Affectionate Marionberry (Gargoyle Norn), Thoughtless Distictis (Bruin Norn), and Callous Sesbania (Kunterbunt Norn).


Just as a small fun fact, the Kunterbunt Norn breed was the first thing I ever downloaded on the Internet! I was probably nine years old at the time and had to ask my parents' permission, to which they hesitantly agreed - it was the mid-2000s and they were concerned about picking up viruses, so I can't blame them there. After a while, I started downloading a lot of agents, metarooms and creature breeds on my own without asking, but felt so guilty about it that I eventually confessed to my mother and was grounded for a month! Times really were different back then, weren't they? 

I know I say this kind-of-sappy stuff a lot, but seeing and interacting with the Creatures community really was one of my earliest experiences with other people online, and I think it's wonderful that despite everything we've been through, we're all still out here somewhere. Even though I mostly lurk, I do still drop by community sites like Creatures Caves from time to time just to see how everyone's doing.

|| Previous || Next ||

P.S. - I just found out today is apparently National Video Games Day here in the US. In the spirit of that, here's another cheers to the video game that helped shape my life. 💗

No comments:

Post a Comment