Sunday, September 9, 2018

New Albia || Humble Beginnings

It started, perhaps as all worlds do, with an egg.


Or, rather, a pair of eggs. Though I was unsure of their contents, the two's file names were apparently "goldie1" and "goldie2", which I found telling (and, presumably, it meant the two would be the same breed).



The two eggs both spent quite a long time in the incubator... it wasn't something I'm used to, and at first, I thought perhaps something was wrong! However, with some patience, the two Norns emerged.

As suspected, the two new Creatures to walk this new Albia were the same breed - Golden Desert Norns! I suppose I should have expected that, given the file name was "goldie", but I was happy to see them, nonetheless. I haven't really seen this kind of Norn in quite some time, and it feels refreshing to be taking care of these little guys. I hope I'm able to raise them well, despite my inexperience!

I've decided to name them Jessie and James. Though it may be a Pokémon reference, I named the male James first, and Jessie just seemed to come naturally after. I think the names fit them well.


Since these kinds of Norns are not as obedient as the ones I am used to, and I cannot pick them up or take them by hand, I decided right away the most important thing would be to teach them language so we can communicate properly. Once I was able to herd them near the computer, I set right in to teaching them each word in the computer by hand, making sure to repeat words they were having trouble understanding. 

They looked upset, but mostly stayed put by the computer, and didn't hurt each other or act aggressive towards anything else... so I'm not sure what was upsetting them, but despite the looks on their faces, they were acting quite calm.

I also noticed this mini-computer, which, when opened, had a video recording of a Shee on it. Could this have been left behind by the Shee who evacuated this planet, as a reminder to any remaining Norns of who their creators were? In any case, it repeated a few words Jessie and James had already learned from the computer - but it also taught them the word for "food"! An important word, to be sure.


It was around this point that I heard voices nearby. When I panned the camera down, I saw these two creatures milling about underneath the ocean. Just who are they, and how did they get here so soon? At this point, the world was perhaps ten minutes old, and already it would seem Jessie and James aren't so alone...

Once I had taught my two Norns everything I could in regards to language, I began to try and convince them to eat, since they hadn't eaten anything yet despite being around for some time. I managed to convince James to eat a piece of cheese, but Jessie seemed resistant. However, the two Norns now looked quite unhappy, so I decided to look around in the various kits available to me... and to my surprise, this was what I found:


Not only were my two Norns not at all hungry, but apparently, they were exhausted! I suppose they had spent quite a bit of time learning how to speak, which surely takes a lot of energy for a little Norn. Although I was still concerned Jessie hadn't eaten anything yet, I decided to change focus into trying to get the two of them to rest...


...but I suppose I'll have to convince them to stop trying to walk into this corner first.

|| Previous || Next ||

No comments:

Post a Comment