Thursday, September 13, 2018

New Albia || An Exercise in Patience

Since the Creatures 3/Docking Station method of pressing F1 and clicking on objects to teach Norns nouns doesn't appear to have any merit here, my next step in teaching Jessie and James language was to sit this little guy down next to them and click him until my wrist hurt.


Norns asking questions is also a new experience for me. There's something incredibly endearing about hearing Jessie exclaim "what dat?" as she explores her environment, and something a little distressing about hearing them both suddenly stop and ask "why?" (Why what?).

It was around this point that I witnessed a Norn drink for the first time. Though I'm not sure "eat drink" is grammatically correct, Jessie was very obedient when I told her to drink after she claimed she was thirsty, so I'm happy with that outcome.


It was not long after this point that something began to go wrong.


As some of you may have seen me talking about, Jessie and James quite suddenly stopped moving.

I couldn't figure out what had gone wrong. After it became apparent that they may be paralyzed and not just standing still, I began to search for answers. I even used QuickPower to activate the Science and Neuroscience kits, which I had been planning on activating myself the "legitimate" way, in the name of possibly diagnosing and curing whatever was ailing them.

Upon inspecting my Norns more closely, though, they still seemed to be in fine health. There was no apparent, obvious damage that should be causing this - whatever was going on in their little noggins, nothing jumped out as the root cause of their troubles. I then turned to injecting several cobs in an attempt to get them to move, such as using PickMeUp to physically move them around. I even tried using a script cob that would literally force them to do certain actions, but the only one that seemed to work was one that forced them to sleep - and then they were stuck lying down!

Having exhausted all of my best options for finding out what caused my Norns to become suddenly paralyzed, I decided to go ahead and wipe the world clean. In our next venture - in a new New Albia - we'll be using JayD's Canny Norn genetics this time, which hopefully should eliminate these problems (as it seems the original default genetics are riddled with issues). Stay tuned!

|| Previous || Next ||

No comments:

Post a Comment