Sunday, August 16, 2020

Housekeeping, or what on Albia is actually happening here

How many times can I make a comeback post before it starts to sound like my comebacks are having comebacks? Ha.


Well, in any case, here I am once again. It feels like this entire year's passing me by without my permission, and knowing current events it's not hard to see why! For anyone who might happen to be reading this post far in the future from now - yes, we are still in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Life updates (again) plus some blog housekeeping/announcements under the cut. For those not interested in the life stuff, the blog housekeeping is in a series of bullet points at the bottom of the post.

Looking back on this year so far, it's a little hard to put a finger on what I've been up to. My company had all of us working from home starting in March, then we returned to the office for about a month in June or so, then we were sent back home once again in July. We're now halfway through August and here I am, wondering what in the world happened because it feels like I blinked and the entire year happened without me. (Or anyone else, for that matter...)

It's easy to fall into a cycle of getting up, "going" to work, and then doing nothing after work because I've had a hard time adjusting to my new job amidst all of the things going on in the outside world. I've ended up mostly trying to keep myself as distracted as possible outside of work, so most of my hobbies outside of video gaming have gone to a standstill. All of this, coupled with a recent mental health scare, means I've admittedly done very little with my year so far. 

It wasn't until this warm Sunday morning when I woke up and saw my trusty green Norndoll, Norny (8-year-old me really brought out the genius with that name, right?), sitting on my display case that I realized... hang on, I haven't played Creatures in a really long time! And we're getting closer to the end of the year, which means the CCSF is approaching!

So, there's only one thing to do - start Creatures blogging once again. 😊 To anyone who happens to still be reading, thanks for sticking by me and I'm sorry this blog's always been so inconsistent!!

Blog housekeeping:
  • I am discontinuing (and removing) the Quarantine series - I know it had only just gotten started, but I hope it's not hard to guess why I don't want to continue. In light of the pandemic and people from around the world having to be in actual quarantine, I don't think writing a series about a plague is what I want to be doing any more. Apologies!
  • I am going to be reducing the number of updates to the Crestfall series, as it seems like it's mostly become a series of posts reporting each creature that comes in through the Warp. While the Warp Network is an absolute blast, listing out each creature that stops by hasn't really made for great blogging! I will continue to run Crestfall idle for long periods and check in on it sometimes, but will no longer focus on it as a "main" series.
  • Coming back to the heart of the Pappus Café's origins, I want to write more short story pieces or poetry and have the blog lean more into writing once again. This might mean a new series, or maybe I'll try to stick to one-off pieces for a while and see where it goes. 
  • I am (tentatively) planning to run a series that will post every day during the CCSF this year, like I did with the SERU Foster Ship in 2018. I may also put together some little writing pieces for the CCSF, if there's any sort of blog/writing prompts (or maybe just for fun).
Thank you once again for stopping by the Pappus Café. Take care out there!
Pixis

1 comment: